An ESS special education paraprofessional, under the supervision of an ESS Instructor and Special Education Lead, provides direct and indirect support to students with special needs ages Birth through age 21. The duties and responsibilities of a special education paraprofessional will vary based on the developmental needs and age of the students served.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions of this position may include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
1. Serve as a contributing member of the ESS and special education team.
2. Support academic programs designed by ESS instructors, and special and general education teachers including leading small groups, providing one-to-one follow-up, re-teaching/review, and keeping students on-task.
3. Provide support to enhance student success and independence through the implementation of Individual Education Program (IEP) adaptations and accommodations. (e.g., taking notes in class, reading materials aloud, utilizing technology, implementing organizational tools).
4. Provide feedback to ESS instructors and special education teachers about ESS class activities, assignments, student participation, and behavior.
5. Promote a positive learning environment and advocate for student needs.
6. Facilitate interactions between students with disabilities and classmates.
7. Support development of individual communication, social and functional skills.
8. Implement individual student behavior plans including providing positive reinforcement, assisting with self-regulation and behavior de-escalation, assisting students to transition from general education classrooms and other school settings when behaviors are interfering with learning, and implementing safe restraint procedures when required.
9. Collect student data as directed by the special education teacher.
10. Assist students with mobility which may include toileting/changing diapers, lifting and transferring students, helping with dressing, and assisting students with adaptive equipment.
11. Accompany students during school-related community outings which may include driving a district vehicle.
12. Support activities of daily living (assisting with eating/feeding, hygiene, dressing skills, and toileting/diapering).
13. Maintain student and family data privacy and confidentiality.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Participate in conferences and school activities beyond the regular work day, when requested by the special education teacher and approved by ESS Manager or Coordinators.
2. Participate in district-wide professional development including Crisis Prevention and Intervention (CPI) training when required for the position.
3. Supervise special education students in the lunchroom, during recess, and on field trips, as assigned.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS (Specific training or job experience required before appointment):
1. High School Diploma required – prefer a candidate with an AA degree. Additional post-secondary training relevant to children/adolescents/young adults is preferred.
2. Flexibility within the work environment. Able to work with small and large groups, one-to-one, and in multiple school settings.
3. Strong communication skills with students and adults.
4. Skilled in use of various computer programs (word processing, Powerpoint, excel) and with technology used by students (iPads, smartphones).
5. Strong language, math and reading skills.
6. Willingness to accept direction from supervising teacher(s) and administrators.
7. Ability to cope with change and with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
8. Ability to move quickly from sitting to a standing position and to fellow students at a fast pace, when needed.
An ESS special education paraprofessional, under the supervision of an ESS Instructor and Special Education Lead, provides direct and indirect...Apply For This Job
Character is what counts at the Y, where our mission and values—caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and equity—shape our culture. Exercise...Apply For This Job
Lakeville Area Chamber of Commerce
19950 Dodd Boulevard, Suite 101
Lakeville, MN 55044